Eclipse makes it easy to create different types of Java projects, which is really all an Android Application is. So to create the files for our Application we simply:
- Select “File > New > Other…”
- Select “Android > Android Project”
- Select “Next >”
- Give your project a name (“BlackJackApp” for instance) and click “Next >”
- Choose a Build Target. I suggest for your first app you choose a low target (i.e. 2.2 or 2.3.3) and I will walk you through building something that should scale up reasonably for later platforms, then click “Next >”
- Give your project a Package name. This time you will need to specify a reverse web style address…I’m choosing “com.mrcruwys.blackjackapp” because I have a website where I can put this app but you can just make up a unique reverse url address for yours.
- Create a start activity, I’m going to call mine “StartActivity” instead of “BlackJackAppActivity” simply because it makes more sense.
And then when you click Finish you should have a folder in your package explorer that looks something like this:
Okay, now we need to test our app…this can be a bit of a pain in the neck!